The role of a Crumbs trainee
The role of a trainee is to take part in the Training Programme. You will be expected to be responsible and committed to your training. It is important that you work as a team with the staff, Volunteers, Interns and trainees.
- To arrive for work and training on time at the set time given.
- You will need to change from your personal clothing into work clothing.
- You will need to be changed and ready to start work and training 5 minutes before your session starts.
- Be committed to your learning.
- Pay attention to instructions and training given at all times.
- Be respectful to all you are working with.
- Personal hygiene.
You will be working in our professional kitchen facility, using state-of-the-art catering equipment. You will also be able to work within our separate bakery station when required. At times you will have the opportunity to visit external catering facilities to assist with our community lunch program. You will learn practical skills in food preparation, cooking, baking and as well as the importance of Food Hygiene and Health & Safety as part of your training. Other aspects of your catering training include:
- Food preparation, cooking and baking
- Preparing food for buffet deliveries
- Preparing hot and cold meals for residents
- Cake decorating
- Health & Safety training
- Food Hygiene training
- Cleaning duties in the kitchen/bakery
- Operating dishwasher, washing up and putting items away
You will be working in our dining room as key members of our front of house team. You may also have the opportunity to serve meals at external venues where appropriate. You will learn important skills in customer service and money handling. Your training will include:
- Preparing and setting up of the tables
- Ensuring the customer area is clean and tidy
- Meet and greet customers
- Operate the till and handle money
- Take food and drink orders
- Be polite and well mannered at all times
You will be working in our reception area and in our offices alongside our main Receptionist and Management team. Throughout your training you will learn a variety of practical administration skills, including:
- Meeting and greeting visitors
- Answering the telephone
- Creating emails and other documents
- Experience using Microsoft Office packages
- Assisting with a variety of administration duties
You will be working alongside our experienced Housekeeper within our laundry facility and will gain an understanding of cleanliness on a professional scale. Throughout your training you will learn a variety of practical skills, as well as health and safety in handling hazardous materials. You will assist with:
- Keeping work areas neat and orderly
- Cleaning halls and floors, ensuring they are free of slip and trip hazards
- Cleaning lavatory areas
- Removing of waste materials
- Health and safety procedures for handling hazardous substances
Literacy / Numeracy / I.C.T Training
Alongside your practical skills training you will also be required to complete regular Literacy, Numeracy and ICT Training. This will help improve these vital skills and support your vocational program. You will be required to:
- Arrive on time for your classes
- Be prepared for your classes
- Complete any homework required
- Commit to your training with a positive attitude
- You must attend an 8 week induction (2 days a week for your first 8 weeks)
- This is a training program so work here is not paid
- Lunch will be provided
- You will have a tea break and a lunch break during your shift
- Quarterly reviews will be held to discuss your training needs and your progress
- Staff at Crumbs are friendly and supportive, discuss any concerns you may have with them
- Smoking is not permitted while on duty. You will be allowed to smoke on your breaks in a designated area. Be aware that extra breaks are not given to smokers
- Please practice consideration for other trainees, like you they are using this opportunity to gain skills and experience to improve their lives in the community.
Or contact us or call our team on 01202 519 320.